Teenager’s “tantrum” brought town centre to standstill


A teenager, who brought traffic in Dunfermline town centre to a halt by throwing bricks at vehicles, wanted to gain attention on social media. 

James Haggerty (18), who threatened police with a pole and hurled rocks at buses, asked afterwards how many comments the incident would receive on Facebook and You Tube. 

The town centre traffic was at gridlock during a tea-time rush hour last month when road closures were put in place after Haggerty threw stones and rocks at passing vehicles. 

Haggerty, who remains behind bars at Polmont YOI, appeared at Dunfermline Sheriff Court. 

He admitted that on 23rd January at Carnegie Drive, he conducted himself in a disorderly manner by repeatedly shouting, swearing, brandished metal poles, challenged the police to fight, made threats to harm himself and committed a breach of the peace. 

He also admitted the he culpably, recklessly and with utter disregard for the consequences, repeatedly threw stones, rubble and metal objects from a height of 20 feet at moving traffic, patrol cars and police officers, uprooted a power cable to the danger of people. 

Depute fiscal Sarah Lumsden said the incident occurred after police tried execute an arrest warrant granted after Haggerty failed to turn up for a court date. 

At around 3.40pm a detective was on the phone to Haggerty when he told him, “Look over to B&Q.” 

Haggerty had climbed up on to a ledge above the car park at a retail park and told police he had taken “14 Valium, speed and four bottles of alcohol”, said the depute. 

Haggerty began to throw stones at police vehicles arriving at the scene, striking their windows. 

Some road closures were put in place and these were extended as the incident continued. 

He shouted at police, “Come on, do you want some?” 

Haggerty had been bare-chested at first but as heavy rain fell he put on his tee-shirt. However, he continued with his belligerence throwing objects at police negotiators when they arrived. 

Other officers were called in from Glenrothes and Edinburgh and protective clothing was used as Haggerty brandished a metal pole. 

He also continued to throw stones at police and rocks at passing buses and so both carriageways of Carnegie Drive were closed. 

A group of people gathered and there was “hostility shown from the crowd to the accused”. 

Haggerty finally gave himself up to police at 5.40pm and he was taken to hospital for a check-up. 

“On being assessed at the Victoria Hospital he made comments about how many comments he would get on Facebook and You Tube,” added Ms Lumsden. 

Haggerty, whose mother lives in Methil, was staying in Mackie Place, Dunfermline, at the time. 

His solicitor David Bell asked for Haggerty to be granted bail to his mum’s address while reports were compiled. 

“A feature of his behaviour has been spectacular tantrums and this takes it to a new level,” added Mr Bell. 

Sheriff Chris Shead called for reports and refused bail. Haggerty will be sentenced on 21st March.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.