Man had top of ear bitten off by thug in street


A man had part of his ear bitten off in a fight outside a Dunfermline pub, a court has heard.

The victim had confronted thug Ross Keir following an unprovoked attack on a barman. 

This escalated into a fight and Keir bit the man’s ear as he held him in a headlock. 

Ross Keir, 29, formerly of Alexander Road, Glenrothes and now of Segal House, Dunfermline, appeared for sentencing at Dunfermline Sheriff Court. 

He admitted that on 12th February at Monty’s, Guildhall Street, he assaulted a barman in the course of his employment by punching him on the face. 

He also admitted that in Guildhall Street he assaulted a pub customer by biting his ear causing a part of it to detach to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement. 

Depute fiscal Sarah Lumsden told the court that at around 10.40pm the barman saw a male he had previously barred.  

This person, who was accompanied by Keir, was told he was not being served and was escorted to the door. 

Keir appeared at the door of the pub and punched the barman on the face. 

A customer standing outside saw this and confronted Keir about the assault. 

CCTV video shows the customer kicking out at Keir before the two started struggling on the pavement. 

Other customers lifted the accused up and he had the man in a headlock before he then bit his ear. The victim is seen on the CCTV holding his ear after the assault. 

“The top part of his ear was bitten off,” added the depute. “There was a 1.5cm sized piece missing and he will be permanently disfigured.” 

Defence solicitor James Moncrieff said, “There was an argument between his friend and the barman at the door. The assault was not for no reason but it was not for a good reason. 

“The complainer in the second charge kicked him. In the struggle the other male had a tight grip on his arm which was causing him pain and he took the decision to bite him on the ear.” 

Keir appeared before Sheriff Craig McSherry, who last month placed him on a community payback order for a separate offence. 

Sheriff McSherry called for reports and allowed bail to continue. Keir will be sentenced on 17th November.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.