Fife father and son found guilty of street violence



A Fife father and son have been found guilty of violent assaults during a disturbance outside a pub.

One man sustained a broken arm, another suffered a fractured jaw and a woman was punched when trouble erupted in Cardenden.

The son, Stewart Dickson was already involved in a fight when his dad, Alexander, arrived in his car and assaulted three people.

The 56-year-old father, who is also known as Stewart, was found guilty of three charges after a jury trial at Dunfermline Sheriff Court.

Beside him in the dock was Stewart junior who was found guilty of one of the charges, with verdicts of not proven in the other two.

The offences took place on 16th July 2017 at Station Road, Cardenden, outside the Central Bar.

Alexander Stewart Dickson (56), of Denfield Gardens, Cardenden, was found guilty of assaulting Suzanne McCormack, by punching her on the head, causing her to fall to the ground and thereafter punched her on the head.

He was also convicted of a charge that he assaulted Brian Milne by punching him on the head, causing him to fall to the ground, rendering him unconscious and thereafter punched and kicked him on the body all to his severe injury and impairment.

Dickson senior and his son Stewart George Dickson (32), of Main Street, Cardenden, were both found guilty of a charge that they assaulted Darren Haxton, by struggling with him, seizing him by the arm, repeatedly punching and kicking him on the head and body and threatened to kill him, all to his severe injury.

The court heard that the three people assaulted had been out in bars in Cardenden that day celebrating a friend’s birthday.

Trouble broke out at around 10.30pm after they went to the Central Bar.

Mr Haxton, a painter and decortator, said that Ms McCormack had been punched by Dickson junior as they stood at the front of the pub.

He said he was then involved in a “scuffle” with him before Dickson senior arrived in his car and began punching and kicking him as he lay on the ground.

The witness said Dickson senior then put him arm against a wall and “snapped” it. He was later taken to hospital where it was found he had a fracture to his right forearm.

Mr Haxton said there was a history of animosity between him and Stewart Dickson junior.

Sheriff Craig McSherry called for reports and the two men will be sentenced on 15th May.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.